Frappa-who?


Weeks ago, I had a Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino (Frappuccino meaning frozen cappuccino) with a friend while grocery shopping for the evening's meal. And, I'm not an avid fan of Starbucks since my very first experience with one of their franchises charged me two dollars for a cup of the worst coffee I had ever had up to that point. Sidenote: I've had worse since. But, despite my previous judgement on all things Starbucks, I stood patiently in a line of two, ordered, waited and paid for my Mocha Frappuccino. It was delicious! It was even better than the one that I had at Panera Bread the week prior. And that's saying a lot, because I really liked that one.

Anyway, like most things that I like, I try to find out if I can make them myself. After about 15 minutes of searching the internet, I found what I was looking for. Someone else, through trial and error, was sharing their recipe for what they thought was a close match to Starbuck's Mocha Frappuccino. Why reinvent the wheel, right? Let someone else do the work and then capitalize off their findings. We began making them every other day and they really helped us deal with the heat of summer. Also, it gave us a new way to enjoy our beloved coffee in the summer when normally I have to set aside my addiction until fall. Since then, we have tried it with different flavored coffees and have found that they are equally enjoyable as well as help guard against growing bored of them.

Below is the recipe that we have committed to memory. Try them out. You will not be disappointed.

3/4 cup of Hershey's Chocolate Syrup (I prefer the new dark chocolate flavor)
3/4 cup of sugar
4 cups of milk
3 cups of espresso (making really strong coffee works just as well)
plenty o' ice

First, make your espresso (or painfully thick coffee). Pour it into a 2 qt. pitcher. While this is still hot mix in your sugar and chocolate syrup until both are thoroughly dissolved. Next, add your milk to the mix. Refrigerate until cold. This mix will last in your refrigerator for the same length of time as the milk that you added to it would normally, so you may want to make a note of the milk's expiration date. Although, in my house the mix does not stay around for more than 24 hours. We like our Frappuccinos. When the mix is sufficiently chilled, fill your blender with ice (pellet ice is the easiest to use here which you can pick up at a lot of places, we've nicknamed it Sonic ice because it's the breed of ice that Sonic uses, here's a hint: Sonic will sell you a huge bag of their ice for 99 cents, most people aren't aware of this) but, of course, allow room to be able to put the lid on. Then, pour the mix in so that the mix level is just below the top of the ice. Blend well and serve. If you so desire you can add some whipped cream on top and then drizzle some chocolate syrup on top of the whipped cream. It adds a nice presentation for your guests, although I find it to be an unneccesary extra.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

1. I like NesQuik versus syrup EXCEPT for the dark chocolate syrup.

2. It's really not necessary to chill the mix before blending. Who can wait that long??

3. Equal parts on the mix and ice. Meaning: Fill with mix til you hit the top of the ice. Let's not forget~~I AM the frap master.

4. Don't blend for too long or it will become foamy and not as flavorful. Just blend til you hear ~what I like to call~ the "chemical reaction". You will hear the blender go in to CRUSH ICE mode and VIOLA you're done. yum yum :)

It's true she does make them better than me. I wasn't even aware that there was a chemical reaction. It makes me wonder what she's putting in my frappuccinos.

I love chai lattes from panera they are the best

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More