Entertainment Zone


We all have one. Some are in some form of a puzzle, some are full of bloody action, some are cartoon like, some are simulation oriented, and even some are like playing dress-up. No matter what kind it is, everyone has a favorite video game. I've heard people say that they hate video games, and then watched them get a big kick out of Galaga or something at another time. Video games have been around for about 30 years and have advanced from a bouncing ball on a 5 inch wide oscilliscope screen to a wide variety of games including ones that have such beautifully rendered graphics that one might actually have trouble picking out the video game screenshot amongst a group of real life photos. Today there are girls that have set aside their doll playing to create a "Sims" world in which they can accessorize their Sims' clothes as well as their houses. Boys don't know who G.I. Joe is, but they do know that the M1938 Mosin-Nagant Carbine has a smaller muzzle flash than the German MP-40.

There are people that think that video games are all bad and others that see nothing wrong with them. My personal opinion is that they are both wrong. I think that there are lots of pros about them, but of course there are also a lot of cons. I know when it comes to children, it's very important to limit the amount of time that they are allowed to play them as well as censor the games that they are playing. Most video games out on the market are designed for adults. It used to be for children, but now those children have grown up and they're the ones buying all the new merchandise. So, the games have been designed and published to meet their expectations. In turn, there are many games that I find inappropriate for myself much less my child. Also, video games can be a big time waster. They're fine to play once in a while, but when you're letting your life pile up with things that need to be done and you're sitting in front of a screen for hours something is wrong.

However, assuming that we are all smart enough to handle the challenge that video games bring into our lives, what are some of your favorites?

My all-time favorite has been Call of Duty. It's a World War 2 re-enactment that takes you through all the major battles throughout the war including landing on the beaches at Normandy, taking back Red Square from the Germans, amongst others. The best part of the game is the multi-player part. With an internet connection you can get into a multitude of different games with other online players. There is Capture the Flag, Team Deathmatch, Search and Destroy, etc. You can play on several huge maps and there are some people out there that have made up their own maps.

I really enjoy the game. However, I'm always behind the times when it comes to video games. I can't bring myself to pay more than 10 or 15 dollars for a video game and so I'm usually behind what most people are playing. For instance, Call of Duty 4 recently came out and I'm still playing the first one. One of these days, though, I'll be able to buy Call of Duty 4 on eBay or something for around 10 bucks. I can't wait either. It's called "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare" Unlike it's beginnings it takes place in a modern day environment complete with plenty of urban warfare. Check out some of the screenshots below.

What is your favorite video game?

3 comments:

Well my favorite game Iguess would have to be either Mario Brothers the original. Or Galaga. Although there was that game that me and you used to play and be it every day it seemed like, I forgot what it was called though.

Majong ~Look, it's been so long that I don't even know how to spell it anymore~ and that bouncy ball game. Are these even considered video games?? That picture of Emma really looks like Lyric!

I played the original Mario recently and man it is so much easier now than when I was 10 and I still remembered all the hidden warp zones. My FAVORITE is tetris I can kick some major butt at tetris.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More