Follow by Email

Almost There

The appraisal on the house went well but it came back with two exceptions. The exposed plumbing in the bathroom would have to be covered and the hole in the hardwood floor between the first bedroom and hallway would have to be fixed. The plumbing was relatively easy. The cover was already there. I just didn't put it back when we found a leak during the inspection process. So I fixed the broken piping and covered it back up. The bad news is that when I turned the water on at the meter and went back up to check for leaks again, there was another leak. My plumbing didn't leak a drop, but there must be a busted pipe in the floor of the bathroom somewhere under the sink. So, in order to fix it I have to tear out the bathroom floor. So, it seems that we'll be renovating that bathroom a little sooner than what we had originally planned. Oh well. It's nothing to cry about. We were going to do it anyway, just not right off the bat.

By the way, I volunteered to fix these two things myself to make sure that it was done right. If the seller was forced to do it, then the hole just would've had a board thrown over the top of it and nailed down. It would've looked horrible and we would've had to redo it anyway.

The hole was easy, though. Jacob came with me and was my little helper. He is very interested in this stuff and kept asking me how I knew how to do everything that I was doing. I told him that I knew how, because I watched my dad doing things like this while I was growing up. He then said, "So, I'll be able to fix things like this when I'm older?" He was amazed when I said, "yes." Below shows the before, during, and after photos. It turned out much better by me doing it than having the seller do it.

Now, the only thing that we are waiting on is the seller having the termite treatment performed. Get this. He tried to get out of it. His agent said that the seller spoke with Campbell Pest Control (the company that Jodi and I hired to perform the inspection and ruled that it needed a treatment) and that they "revised" their original statement and said that it didn't really need treatment since it didn't appear that the affected area was active. I called C.P.C. and the office manager told me that no one had spoken with them, they don't "revise inspections", and that they still advise that a treatment is necessary. I think the office manager knew where I was going with my questions and was very adamant about never doing anything of the sort. He was very polite and helpful. So, if you need a pest inspection done call Campbell Pest Control. (plug, plug) I called my agent and filled her in and she called the seller's agent to inform him that we have not forgotten about the treatment and that we will not close until we have documentation proving that it has been performed. That was yesterday morning and we haven't heard anything yet. I'm telling you, this guy we are dealing with is an old penny-pinching uncooperative fart. The treatment is about $300 and he's known about it for about 3 weeks and he's done nothing but try and get out of it, when he should know that as soon as it is done we could close as early as the next day. It seems he is not willing to spend $300 to sell a house for thousands. What a butt.

2 comments:

Butt indeed. What a curmudgeony old bas... man. Good wood work Bob Vila. Let me know if you need help with anything.

We found a small leak in our kitchen when the water was turned on and it was to an icemaker. The realtor had "his" plumber close the hose or whatever he did. Anyway, a few moenths later we started having super high water bills and Alex thought it was the toilet and that didn't fix it. "I" decided to go look under the house to find a laker underneath and could hear water rushing out. The guy didn't fix it right and one thing became another and we called a plumber. That's my short/long story.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More