I Made it!


Well, back in the day of my late teens and early twenties I took part in many a conversation that was about "Club 27". In case you haven't heard anything about this morbid subject then let me put it in a nutshell for you. Over the years there have been many famous musicians and even more not-so famous musicians die at the age of 27. The list that I've heard and possibly helped to spread includes many who died at various other ages, but the official list of the most widely known is as follows:

Brian Jones (Rolling Stones) - drowned in his own swimming pool
Jimi Hendrix (The Jimi Hendrix Experience) - drowned in his own vomit (after having overdosed on sleeping pills)
Janis Joplin (The Kosmic Blues band) - heroin overdose (said to have misjudged it's purity)
Jim Morrison (The Doors) - heart failure (of course, there is a certain mystery as to how his heart failed, most likely drugs or alcohol or both)
Kurt Cobain - (Nirvana) - suicide

I was reading through some of the not-so-famous Club 27 members and surprisingly saw Kristen Pfaff's name on the list. This drew a dramatic raised eyebrow from me (dramatic because of my disproportionately huge eyebrows) because this was the bass guitarist for the band called Hole in which the scary-looking Courtney Love is the frontman for. Or is it frontwoman? I don't know. Anyway, Wikipedia said she died of a heroin overdose. Oddly enough, heroin was also Kurt Cobain's drug of choice. Do you suppose Courtney Love is peddling heroin to everyone that she knows which happenned to result in the untimely deaths of both her bass guitarist and her husband? You don't? Yeah, neither do I. I was just playing. Or was I?

Anyway... I turned 28 today. So, I can officially say, "Olly-Olly-Ox-And-Free." I wonder if that's what Shannon Hoon, lead singer of Blind Melon, said on his 28th birthday which also became his last. Hmm...

5 comments:

WOW!! You are the BOMB-DIGGITY Levi!! :) I couldn't figure anything out since it was all in German!! It never showed me the pages you sent me as examples, later I found that it was because it was trying to get me set up on the "new blogger". I had to go to an online translator and translate the word "Language" so I could find it on the pages I was directed to. Man o'mighty!! That was tough but I'm glad I'm through it. :D All I wanted to say was Happy Birthday!!! (Finally!)

I'm SO glad you made it!! You failed to mention though that the "27 Club" extends out into the acting field as well. I wonder what other fields it extends to. hmmm...interesting...

I wonder something...Layne Staley lived until 34 but he died on April 5 which is the same day as Kurt Cobain ut 8 years later. Do you think he was morning the death of Nirvana when he was doing heroine that killed him? Thought provoking..I know.

That's interesting. I wasn't aware of the corresponding dates of these two. And, it is a possibility that he was "toasting" Kurt Cobain's death with a shot of heroin that killed him. I'm not sure that ol' Layne needed a reason to dose up, though. Any old day was as good as another with him. Alice in Chains was a messed up band. They never really toured. Touring required Layne to be sober for long periods of times and that just never happened. They had a hard enough time just getting him to show up to the recording studio. Thanks for the added info. I'll have to look into that.

Whoa I actually gave a little added unknown info. I still loved his voice even if he did had issues.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More