Retrospecting


I struggle to remember what life was like at the ripe old age of 18. Next week I will turn 28 and although it seems like ten years have flown by I also realize that 18 was such a different era that was eons ago. I have so few memories from back then. For example, I moved out of my mom's house at 17 and had an apartment with this loser whose name I will purposefully omit. It seems like I have a handful of memories in that place, but I spent the better part of a year living there. Shouldn't I have lots and lots of memories? In the picture above, I'm sitting outside my fourth apartment. You know what's going through my mind? Nothing. I was cruising. My whole life was spent in neutral just rolling around. I had no direction and didn't want any.

If I really think hard, I can remember what my days were like then. I woke up around 11:00 or so. I got around and ready to leave by noon or 1:00 and headed to China House where I picked up an order of chicken fried rice. This was my breakfast/lunch meal. Then, I would piddle around with whoever else was around to hang out with and then I went to work about 4:00 and worked until 10:00 or 11:00. I was absolutely rich because I made about $40 to $50 cash on a normal day in tips and I made about $1000 a month in salary on my paychecks. I only had about $500 in bills every month so after bills were paid I had anywhere from $1200 to $1600 a month to blow. And boy did I know how to blow it. After all, these were the days when filling up at the gas station only cost $10. Chew on that for a while.


Ten years have gone by and I like who I turned out to be. I had no idea I would wind up who I am now and I had no way to fathom being 28, but I'm very satisfied with how it all turned out. I just hope that the next ten years are slower than the last. I was always looking forward to something before. Now I'm content where I am, so maybe I won't wish my life away this next ten.

2 comments:

Wow ten years have passed! I still feel like a kid, akid with kids but I have to say I am lucky to have made it through those years and lucky you had that nice job and all those apartments so I could follow you around and sleep in your hallways. Haha Or maybe even just break in in the middle of the night and sleep on your couch. ANyway im glad we made it and glad to still be friends after it all.

Hey I took that picture. I'm with ya on the 10 years and not many memories from then. I'll be 30 on July 4th. I remember when I turned 20 we both worked at pizza hut and you made me a bday card out a small pizza box. On the inside it said no longer a teenager. I kept that for several years...ha ha It was horrible thinking that I was no longer a teenager. I was rolling in the money also except I lived at home and had even less bills. This cooment is getting long I should just write my own blog. I've been told that every decade gets better. You may be happy and content now but now you have even more to look forward to...like watching your kids grow up oh and retirement...j/k.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More