Does Not Compute


A little over two years ago I decided that it was time to buy a new computer. At that time I was using a Pentium II, 350 GHz with a 10 Gb hard drive. I had purchased it from a friend in February 2003 for $200. It was a good deal, then. Especially since I was using a pre-Pentium 166 Mhz computer with a whopping 930 Mb hard drive before that. It was running Windows 3.1. That was obviously my first computer.

So, in 2005, I kept the future in mind when shopping for a new computer. I decided to build a computer from parts purchased through TigerDirect.com and put it together myself. I didn't skimp at all, but I did look for the best deals. I put together one heck of a computer for only about $230. I built it knowing that one day soon, I would be getting a digital camcorder and would need a computer advanced enough to do the video editing that I would want it to do.

Well, like I said, I built a great computer. However, it had one flaw that my lack of education missed. The front side bus was only 166 Mhz. Some of you reading this right now are laughing, but most of you are like I was and aren't sure of the significance of the number I just gave you. Let me explain the same way that I've had it explained to me. The front side bus is basically like the highway that all the information going to and from the processor travels on. I had a 166 Mhz front side bus and a 1200 Mhz processor. It's like sending a fleet of 18-wheelers down a dirt road with a one-lane bridge.

In July of 2006, I finally bought the mini-DVD camcorder that I had been wanting since I first heard of its existence. And, I was furious when the video obtained from it would crash my system everytime I went to burn a video to DVD. I could still put mini-DVD disks in my camcorder and shoot video, but there was no way to edit anything. It wasn't until about 2 months ago that I learned what my mistake had been with the front side bus.

The good news is that I bought a new computer last Monday and I have it all up and running. I successfully edited a bunch of video and made a home movie complete with professional looking transitions, titles, credits, etc. Everything worked as expected, so plans are in the works for some fun videos. We have a couple commercial-spoofs planned as well as some family home movies. I'm excited.

1 comments:

This may sound bad but when we were robbed last year I was glad they took my computer. I had bought it off of my aunt for $200 about 5 years ago. It was a good deal then but it was really outdated and had a lot of bugs since it was a windows ME and they were notorious for bugs. Anyway, they took my computer so I was able to finally get a new one.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More