Rent


I thought nothing of it at the time. However, exactly one week ago, I payed rent. This didn't seem significant other than it's obvious heavy significance in my checkbook register, but it was significant. It may be the last time that I ever pay rent again! Now, I don't claim to be a fortune-teller or a psychic or to have some sixth-sense ability to make absolute statements like this with any amount of certainty of it's destined truth. And, just for the record, I don't see dead people. So, this may just be an assumption on my part, but I am now closer to this being true than I ever have been before.

Paying rent has become a way of life for me and I have managed to pay a lot of it over the last 10 years. I moved out of my mother's house at the ripe old age of 17 and began this career of making money for other people. I've lived in apartments, townhouses, and houses in Springfield, Ozark, and Nixa. I did some calculating from all the figures that I could remember and I've found that I have paid an average of $348 per month on rent since I ventured out on my own. I thought it would be more, but all those roommates helped out more than I give them credit for, I guess. Anyway, that approximately works out to a whopping $42,000! That's horrible. Guess what I have to show for it. NOTHING! As much as I love giving. I want to kick myself for ever letting this happen. I'd love to cop out and say that it's not all been my fault, but who am I kidding. It's my fault.

So, now I wonder. Since I cannot deny the fact that paying out so much money over the years was my conscious doing, I might as well give it a good spin. Here goes: I've kept people's investments profitable for ten years. In doing so, I have kept my local economy balanced which has, in turn, helped to resist a complete economic collapse where local businesses shut down one by one. People would have to move away to find communities that still have grocery stores and clean water. Crops would dry up and make tumbleweeds. The lack of plant growth would kill off or force a mass exodus of area wildlife. Springfield would cease to exist as it would be reclaimed by nature decades later. Wildlife would move back due to the abundance of food. They would move into the abandonned homes that I should have been paying rent on. Then, they would learn to walk on just two legs. The area would be cordoned off by a large corporation called GloboTech and turned into a drive-thru nature park where every year thousands of tourists wearing moon-suits would pay thousands of yen per ticket to see the "Animal City".

Man, it's a good thing that I paid rent all those years.

2 comments:

Sorry there was an operators error on that last comment. It was suppose to read ...

I love the way you put a positive spin on things !!;)

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More