Restored Headlights

I bought some headlight restorer compound this week.  I thought that I'd give it a try.  I had heard some really good reports about the stuff and knew that our car was in desperate need for it.  Our car is 7 years old and the plastic headlights had become pretty yellowed and clouded.

I have to say that I wasn't all that impressed with the way that it turned out.  I mean, yeah, it looks a lot better.  But, I was sort of expecting to have my expectations blown away with the results.  Wait... does that sentence even make sense?  How could I be expecting the result to exceed my expectations?  My head just exploded.

Anyway, I'm certainly no color expert, but I'd say that about 95% of the yellowing is gone.  As for the cloudiness, it's more like 65% cleared up.  Without the yellow tint, the cloudiness is a great deal less noticeable.  I will give it that.  But, 35% or so is still there.  I guess when I was done I wanted it to look brand new.  Is that too much to ask?  Besides, what ever happened to glass headlights.  Those were the good ol' days, weren't they?  Back then, your headlights would be restored to new condition every time it rained.  {scoff}  Advanced technology.  {eye roll}

Maybe I did it wrong.  I saw that some of the more expensive kits come with a buffer attachment for a drill.  I just used a cloth.  My results certainly don't look like this product image.  But, then again, they cheated.  They overly contrasted the "after" image.  This can be seen if you compare the blacks of both images.  The "after" image has much darker blacks which means it also has much brighter whites. {scoff}  Cheaters.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More