Follow by Email

Leak-End Weekend

Last weekend, I put some elbow grease into my "new" 1973 Ford F100.  It was quite productive, I think.

First, I bought a new aftermarket exhaust manifold made to factory specs off of ebay.  It was surprisingly inexpensive and since it shipped from Texas, it got delivered less than 48 hours after purchasing it with free shipping.  That was a little added bonus I didn't expect.

I finally broke down and made the investment for air tools and WOW, I'm glad that I did.  Especially, since I bought them at Harbor Freight and was able to get all set up for very little money.  Thank you, China!  I can confidently say that there's no way I would have accomplished what I did this weekend without those new tools.  Air power is certainly the way to go.

I was able to pull the old exhaust manifold and replace it with the new one and a new gasket, of course.  I also pulled the valve covers off because they were both leaking oil on the firewall ends.  While I had them off, I decided to take some advice from a forum I found online and clean them up and repaint them.  I was floored by the difference.  I might wind up becoming one of those car show guys if I keep this up.  You couldn't even read them before.  Now they look new.

I put new valve cover gaskets on and everything seemed to seal up nicely when I tightened them down.  So long, oil leaks.

While I was in there, I also tightened the brake sensor in the brake proportioning valve.  It was leaking brake fluid around it and I was going to replace it, but had that duh moment and checked to see if I could tighten it any more.  It turned a full 360 degrees with little effort and I couldn't get it to leak afterwards.

I'm really looking forward to when I can start working on my '59. The '73 is really cool, don't get me wrong.  But, it's no '59.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More