Bad for Business


It's not every day that standing in the water aisle at the grocery store makes me laugh, so I knew as I was laughing out loud and receiving puzzled sideways looks from other shoppers that this would inevitably become a blog. It's only proper anyway since so much time has passed since my last entry. You all must think that things have been very boring around my house for me to not find anything worth writing about. But, that's simply not the case. It's rarely boring around my house.

So, I'm looking for some distilled water to purchase at the local PriceCutter right up the road and I find the water seen in this photo. If you haven't already laughed then let me either remind you or just come out and tell you depending on whether or not you've seen the movie Erin Brockovich. Ms. Brockovich is a single mom of three who finds herself working as a file clerk at a small law firm in the early nineties. She stumbles across a pro bono case (a legal case done at no cost to the client, not to be confused with a small box that campaigns for the lead singer of U2) that is dealing with several families that have been ill due to drinking their well water. All these people lived around a PG&E (Pacific Gas & Electric) plant that had been polluting the groundwater with rust inhibitor that contained Chromium 6. The town that these folks lived in was Hinkley, California.

Erin Brockovich won several awards and was nominated for many others. This was no small movie so I was curious as to why a company would make such a mistake in choosing a name without researching where else it might already have been used. That's when a closer look taught me that the company has been around since 1888. So, then I'm thinking, "What must have these guys felt when they saw the movie?" Then I'm thinking, "WAIT! 1888?! Come on! Who was buying bottled water in the nineteenth century? But that's what their website says. Go see for yourself if you don't believe me. It's at HinckleySprings.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More