Follow by Email

New Roof

We are blessed to be able to put a new roof on our house.  We're especially excited about it, because our house needed it both practically speaking as well as aesthetically speaking.  We had a few shingles blow off entirely after a super-windy night and had several others that broke their seal and flipped up, creasing them to the point of breaking.  Upon further inspection, the vast majority of the shingles had had their seals broken and were thus subject to damage with future winds and likely had their nails securing them partially pulled up allowing for potential future leaks.

Our first obvious challenge was that we were provided enough money to buy the materials, but no more.  So, that left us with two options.  A: We would not put a new roof on the house and begin to experience problems in the future.  Or B: We could put on a new roof ourselves.  We went with B.

So, with that decided, our first order of business was to pick out and order our shingles.  That went fairly well.  We had to wait on them to be ordered, arrive at the store, and then be delivered, but it went pretty well.  Our next challenge was getting them on the roof.  We wanted rooftop delivery, but, apparently, our local Home Depot doesn't have a truck for rooftop delivery.  So, they have a third party company do it for them.  It's not cheap for this service.  And, I feel like Home Depot knows it.  So, rather than Home Depot telling you the delivery charge for rooftop delivery, they just change the price of the bundles of shingles you're buying.  You know, to muddy it up because they don't think that their customers can do math.  It worked out to just over $450 for them to rooftop deliver.

We were kind of floored with this price because I was hoping that delivery would be free or at the very least would be greatly reduced.  We were buying 123 bundles of shingles after all.  That adds up to a pretty hefty price tag.  Most box stores boast free delivery when you're spending thousands of dollars.  But, alas, there would be no foreseeable compromise.  So, we opted for the normal delivery which would still be on their pallets on the ground.  To their credit, they did put the pallets right on the ground exactly where we told them that we wanted them.  So, there's that.

My ingenuitive nerdiness came out with this challenge.  I designed a "shingle elevator" in Sketchup from materials that I knew I already had.  It went together fairly quickly and worked really well.  It's limitation was that it required three men.  One guy (my friend, Rodney) would have to pull bundles off the pallet and load them on the elevator one at a time.  Another guy (my friend and neighbor, Brian) would have to pull the elevator up using the rope and hold it while the last guy (me) would need to pick up the bundles and go spread them out across the ridge of the roof.  My use of the term 'elevator' denotes a sort of effortless tool.  I cannot stress enough how poor of a choice of terms this was.  None of the three parts to the job was, by any means, effortless.

I bought dinner for the guys, but, besides a lot of spent energy, that was our only cost to getting the shingles on the roof.  That was the evening of Thursday, April 6th.

We employed our son, Lyric, whose agreed upon paycheck would consist of a Playstation 3.  He had been wanting one for some time and we figured that this would be a great opportunity for him to A) learn how to roof a house, B) learn some more work ethic, C) earn the item he couldn't afford to buy, and, lastly, D) help complete the roof at a much faster pace than it would have taken me to do it alone.  He did a fantastic job and I officially changed his affiliation with it from "helping me roof the house" to "roofing the house with me."  :)

Finishing the job was an awesome feeling.  We got it done on Sunday, April 23rd, just two and a half weeks from the start date. Not too shabby for such a small crew.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More